Sunday, August 22, 2004

What's the Focus??

A comment came up in conversation that illness is a result of harbouring sin in our lives, or because of unhealed generational sin. I am not saying this is not a true statement and have seen the Lord do amazing things to heal people thru revisiting the past...changing the course of history I say... and why not He is timeless.

So I could ask the question..."What is it Lord that is in me that needs to go so I can get well? That seems to be the focus at times...I WANT TO BE WELL! Did you hear me, Lord? Sickness can do one of two things at any given time I think... it seems to me I go in one of two directions with the frustration of it...

Option #1. Pursue an answer so I can get well...sounds like a good idea...makes sense in many ways...who wouldn't seek a solution when they have a problem, right? Well, umpteen doctors later, and many bottles of vitamins, prescription drugs, chiropractic treatments....and much prayer and frustration...and I am here crying Lord! What? I am still sick!

Option #2. Pursue God...afterall to know Him is eternal life (John 17:3).

Phil 3:7But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.

It is amazing what things I thought were gain to me...being able to run power tools, cook meals, bake my own bread, work in the garden, etc, etc...right down to being able to get in the car and go places whenever I wanted.

8Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in Him, ... 10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.... I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me...reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. ....

Hmmm.

20For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for (expect fully) the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Sounds like we are already in a heavenly place and are eagerly and fully expecting the Savior from it...

21who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

Yes, I need to hear this...according to the working by which HE is able ...not according to the working by which I am able...to subdue all things to Himself. What things Lord? All those things in me that remain out of line with You? Those things that rise up and want to take the place that belongs to You in my heart.

If I pursue a remedy... if I pursue freedom from sin...if I pursue doctors and treatments...if I pursue knowledge...if I pursue...pursue, pursue... I am missing the mark...all these things are helpful, necessary, and good...but I need to look heavenward..."for our light affliction, which is but for a moment (in terms of eternity), is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory".

Can I surrender to the One who is working things out "according to the working by which HE is able to subdue all things to Himself "?

The prayer should not be "Help, get me out of this?"
The question is: "Lord, show me what I can learn while I am in this?"

4 Comments:

At 4:41 PM , Blogger Helen Bratko said...

This brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing it Wings. We can't be all about getting better. We have to be all about knowing the Lord, and having his kingdom in our lives more and more.

I know I am most unhappy when I am striving to get better. That makes it about ME. If I am seeking to be in his will, stay positive and say YES to him, THEN I am happy.

 
At 8:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wings I have figured this out, that is how to leave a comment...

...The prayer should not be "Help, get me out of this?"
The question is: "Lord, show me what I can learn while I am in this?"...

Amen! And Wings though I too strive to do what the Lord lays on my heart in terms to my body, it is when I am saying teach me that true peace comes. For life is in Jesus. And the funny thing is so often what He is showing me to do has lesson/s other than just the purpose of healing physically and I have found myself more eagerly seeking the hidden treasure than the treasure of physical health though yes that is a treasure also.

When my eyes are on Him things fall into place and those things that I think are out of place don't really matter. For what is our life really, except that which we have in Jesus.

And so I pray "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if [there be any] wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Whatever is involved in the health challenges we face, we can trust God and His perfect care and purpose in our lives.

Love to you dear friend,
CL

 
At 10:45 PM , Blogger wings said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger wings said...

"When my eyes are on Him things fall into place and those things that I think are out of place don't really matter."

Yep, hearing that...knowing it is true...have experienced it over and over...just not happening at the moment...but God is good and it isn't about me, it is about Him so I hope to soon be able to see beyond the dung heap again...really ridiculous when you think of it that way isn't it???

Glad you made it CL...

love ya both.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home