Difficult people......
Difficult people exist in our lives to expose us to ourselves.
Yep, I think so for sure...Tolle talks about being an observer of our thoughts and also an observer of our emotions. He says emotions are "the body's reaction to your mind". Interesting thought...and if you really want to know the truth about your mind you just need to watch your emotional reactions. Where they differ, the emotions will be telling the truth about the mind.
We can be deceived in our mind but our emotions will give us away. [Jer. 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?"] Which leads me back to the original thought. Difficult people exist in our lives to expose us to ourselves.
What happens when we are with someone who is "difficult"? I seem to spend my time trying to convince myself that I can handle this and the nervousness and tension is nothing to worry about ... and find myself hoping they will leave soon...or that something will take me away. And I start saying things to the Lord in my mind like "Ok Lord, you and I can handle this." You know personal votes of confidence, etc...
Well, I am now inclined to think that difficult people exist in our lives to expose us to ourselves...did I say that already??? So I need to ask "What is it Lord that makes me feel uncomfortable when I am around this person? What problem do I have in my own heart that still needs healing? Why do I continue to allow this person to disrupt my inner rest?" Ultimately I end up being the one with the problem...and expecting someone else to change so I don't have a problem is not the answer...they probably don't have a clue that they are being a problem for me and unless I deal with MY issues, things will not likely change for the better. Ha, maybe the ultimate truth of the matter is that I am the one with the difficulty when I find myself in this awkward position.
Isn't life interesting?


3 Comments:
Good stuff here Wings!! Yes it is so much easier to blame the OTHER person for being the PAIN, when it is likely just exposing something in us.
If people with difficult marriages could grasp this, it would probably help a lot. Often pride slips in and we just want to point out all the bad stuff in our spouse and justify our actions toward them. The Lord however looks at OUR hearts.
We are only responsible for what is in OUR hearts. As we let the Lord in to change and heal us, the "problem" may disappear. If it doesn't, we won't be reacting, but be able to act in line with the Holy Spirit.
I also liked what you had to say about our thoughts affecting our emotions. That is so true. Perhaps there are "ungrounded assesments of our future possiblities" going on. Yes indeed!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
(Oooooo K. I just learned that when you click on the little garbage can it DELETES the message...lol...woo hoo...learn something new everyday guess THAT should have been sorta obvious...what can I say...I'm tired...guess I won't be doing THAT again...good thing I chose to try it out on my own post and not yours eh?...they really shouldn't let me on this thing ya know...they even let me drive...amazing!)
Amen Helen!! (and welcome to my blog--really I think I should have called this thing "The Blog in My Eye"...lol)
You are leading right into my next thought with the "ungrounded assessments of future possibilities"...and yes some people are indeed a pain...but the manifestation of their pain (which is really what being a pain is all about) doesn't need to affect us adversely if we are walking in a place of healing ourselves...the thing we need to evaluate when people are a "pain" to us is...what does this say about me and my pain?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home